Saturday, April 7, 2012

Easter Egg Dyes
























































This year for Easter, we experimented with earth tones for our egg dying. We used foods to make our own dyes! It was so fun to use products that we either already had or things that we use often and show Raymond what cool things can happen with things we usually eat! We had a great time making the dyes and seeing how they turned out! We used beets, beet greens, purple cabbage, yellow onion skins, and turmeric. By far my favorite was the yellow onion skins, which seems to be a common favorite among most who try it. The onion skins made the rusty orange color. My second favorite was the turmeric. It made the yellow color. Keep in mind we used brown eggs, because that is what we had- so I'm sure these would be completely different with white eggs. The purple/maroon color was the beets. The blueish gray was the cabbage (but I don't think I made it concentrated enough. I just used what we had, which wasn't quite enough. The brownish was from the beet greens. I found it interesting that the colors changed after a while in the fridge (Kenny tells me this is because the dye was oxidized?) Overall, we had a blast and we will definitely be doing it again!

1 comment:

Alzbeta said...

Love it! We didn't dye eggs at all this year (we are at my in-law's and with his mom preparing for surgery in two days, we're doing a pretty simple Easter), but I'm hoping next year!