Saturday, September 11, 2010

Cloth Diapers? Are We Crazy?



I was at the library for story time the other day, and the conversation popped up. Turns out over half of us used cloth diapers! I was surprised, and in a strange way, sort of happy to share this shall I say... hobby... with others! So I thought I'd share here on our blog.
When we were patiently waiting for Raymond to be born, we prepared in every way we can- preparing our home for a new tenant, preparing our hearts for a new family member, preparing our minds for how to raise a baby! It is so funny to think of the many things that are now second nature that we knew nothing about just 2 years ago. I especially laugh now at the things that we are advocates of that two years ago we had no clue about-such as, cloth diapers. While I was pregnant, my friend Erin showed me her cloth diapers and I was pretty intrigued. With Kenny being in school, money is not exactly flowing, so it was a motivation to look into it. Erin introduced me to a store in St Louis called Cotton Babies that was filled with all sorts of styles of cloth diapers. Different styles? Once again, never seen anything but disposables or pre-folds before. These are not your mother's nor your grandmother's cloth diapers, people! They are just as easy as disposable diapers- no pins necessary. They are so much cheaper than disposables- especially because we use adjustable diapers- one size will last from birth to potty training. They are better for the baby's skin as well as they won't end up in a landfill. They are way cuter than disposables. One could even say the extra padding on the behind is helpful for all those falls. Less diaper rash, earlier potty training.... I could go on and on. Ask me sometime!

2 comments:

Andrew Jaeger said...

How is the cleaning process?

Julie said...

Not as bad as I thought it would be! Just throw them in the pail if wet and if poo- we spray the solids into the toilet first. (Kenny hooked up a kitchen-sink sprayer to the toilet water line). Then we wash them every other day, then dry them either on the clothesline or in the dryer. They do take some time in the washer b/c you have to put them through 2 cycles and a rinse cycle.